Wow:

I really enjoyed the content that we analyzed this week. Surveillance capitalism is a very serious issue regarding our society and it is important to recognize how we are being monitored through technology. I thought that the short films that we watched had done a really good job of portraying how concerning and invasive technology will likely be in the near future. I enjoyed watching all of the short films however, my personal favourite is Blaxites. I found it very shocking that the woman’s doctor had access to her social media and was able to deny her any medical prescriptions due to what she posts online. It is certainly scary to consider how social media may have a hold over our rights and can potentially dictate how we live. Obviously, we are not fully there yet, but who’s to say that we are not on that path? With technology advancing at an exponential rate, we should definitely be concerned with our privacy and the information that is collected by corporations.

Wonder:

A few things that I wonder about from overviewing and unpacking this week’s content is, knowing that social media and big corporations are able to access our data and that privacy is somewhat limited, why are we so compliant with giving out information on ourselves? And do the benefits of social media outweigh the cons? (I feel like the second question is more dependent on the individual)